Skip to main content

Cocacabana Car Blessings

Lake Titicaca
After the whirlwind of meeting Ivan and his theatre troupe and the chaos of the streets of La Paz, I was heading for the tranquility of Lake Titicaca for a couple of days. Oooohh! what bliss to leave the crowds and be beside this totally amazing sacred lake.

My guide turned out to be a Bolivian archeologist who spoke 5 languages, including Japanese. Gael, this guide, took me to visit the sacred Isla del Sol, on Lake Titicaca, where 4 virgins were sacrificed each year by the Incas on the summer solstice in the sun temple. So much happened during these 24 hours at the lake, including being drawn into the ancient ceremony of car blessing outside Cocacabana cathedral!

Bless!
Lines of vehicles wait outside the cathedral every day, and the priest blesses each one and their owners. Familes drive here from all over Bolivia and make altars in front of their cars outside the catherdal. They believe the Black Virgin Mary of the town will work miracles. After the priest has blessed each car, bus or truck inside and out, they splash beer or champagne over the vehicles. Then the oldest woman in the family goes right around it with a dish of incense. Next they let off bangers in front of the said vehicle, then they hand out plastic mugs of beer.

That's when I got dragged into the melange to be photographed in front of the vehicle as another sign of good luck for the life of the family car-bus-4x4 etc. Could have got very drunk, because all the families wanted to include me, one family even tried very hard to pair me up with their only unmarried uncle! The priest wore a grubby a baseball cap throughout the proceedings!

Return to La Paz
The very next day, after all that excitement, I was to meet Ivan back in La Paz at 7.30 am to go to the bank and withdraw the money I'd promised him from the sale of the painting. Another big adventure, which led to spending the day in his world.

Ooooohh again! I cant begin to describe the genuis of this humble man and the love, compassion, joy, wisdom and kindness he oozes from every cell of his being. His theatre arts centre is beyond descripton. Seven floors of pure creativity, all made by himself and his street kids, who are actually not kids any more but young people. Many joined him when they were kids, but are now teaching circus skills, music etc. to the next generation. Ivan has made three arts centres in La Paz, and many others around the country. He has just returned from three months in Germany, touring with a group of these young people.

There is so much more to share about this project, but that's for another time. In the taxi leaving chaotic La Paz that morning, and arriving back in Cusco, a tune on the taxi radio opened the floodgates of my tears. I cried buckets and wondered how I was going to deal with the airport sharks with bleary eyes and heavy heart. I was so touched I couldn't contain the emotion. It was a very well known sort of national anthem-like tune, and it pierced my inner being for some reason. I just was torn into pieces to leave this crazy place. I haven't worked out exactly why yet. Just thinking about the connection with Ivan makes me very emotional. I really think I've met a sort of male Mother Theresa. His spirit has touched me so deeply I feel a kind of terrible homesickness for what he is doing. It makes me think that my life will now include Boliva, in some very profound way.

So here I am, back in Peru. Off to meet 'Mama' Sharon of the Universal Heart restaurant and Path of the Heart charity, for which many of you have donated, or helped to raise, funds. I feel very disorientated. My heart is still in Bolivia.

The book is born!!
Oh, but some exciting news is that my book is now available from Amazon.com !! At last! I have waited so long for it to become a reality - and now it can make its way into the world. And at the same time help raise more money for these projects I'm here to work with and visit. Please have a look at Drawn by a Star on amazon.com - buy it if you can! - and spread the word that it is now available. Thank you so much. And don't forget the one with photographs and images from blurb.com which is a companion volume to Drawn by a Star ! On both sites you can search for the books under Meg Robinson - and both books will raise money from sales for the projects.

More very soon.

Comments

  1. Hi Meg,just finished reading your story of your trip.La Paz sounds a truely great place not to mention Ivan who has opened his heart unconditionally to all those kids who have nothing.What an amazing project to be involved in.Talking about your heart bursting in the taxi sent my whole body goosebumpy.Experiences like that are sacred.
    I'm jealous I wish I was there with you.Loads of LOVE & a Very Happy New Year.Hope 2010 brings you all you need.....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's official ! Build Creative Confidence. A holiday course in Spain.

        It's official !    Here's the link to my course at the beautiful Cortijo Romero Center in Andalucia Spain -              February 25th to March  4th 2023.                                                 'Build Creative Confidence '  With the guidance of the marketing manager, we've changed the wording of the Creativity week  I shared with you recently, to fit  more with their  guidelines. It will be a fun and fascinating week because  with all the gifts you will bring with you ...co creation always happens, and we learn lots from each other as a group. There will be a max of 10 people I believe I'm not going to be telling you what to do! I'm planning to open many doors for you by sharing forty years of experimenting, and keeping a drawing dairy for much of that time. https://www.cortijo-romero.co.uk/choose-your-course/courses/?type=&id=2734&name=Building+Creative+Confidence

Stop-Expecting-Too-Much-from-People, Mrs!

At the end of a radio interview when  69 year old , Jewish, Hungarian born Canadian physician  Gabor Mate was asked ‘ is there more love in your life now?’  he paused. ‘I think there is more space in my heart for love,’  he said quietly.  I think  there is more space in our hearts for love when we pass 60. What we do with that space depends on lots of things. And sometimes that space shuts down ! This morning I was deeply disappointed with our village doctor, again. My heart door slammed shut. There seems to be  a Berlin Wall  wall between us. I cannot communicate with him without judging him, severely.   He speaks to me like I'm a teenager with many serious learning challenges. I see in front of me an  arrogant adolescent with mother issues!  LOL !! I thought I'd stopped judging people !! I'm angry that so many folk in our village seem to suffer, month after  month, year after year. Yes I know the  difference between healing and curing.  A kind encourag

Lithuania Calling.

Dear loyal multinational followers, Thank you for keeping on visiting while I've been silent for so many weeks. How does anybody manage a daily blog?? I couldn't. At the moment I've got kittens and chickens and a blind cockerel  to feed, as well as drawings to draw, adventures to live, and so much more. Since starting the blog,  thousands of you  in the US have visited (so love these statistics), and more than five thousand Russians and Ukrainians have looked at my paintings here. Why so many visitors from Russia?  I'm thinking you must be 'resonating' with something in my art , but I doubt many of you are  reading the posts. Of course I could be wrong. I've just discovered my Jewish father's ancestors came from your countries -  Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and also Poland. What a surprise. Oh bliss and double joy to know this at last!   All my life I'd  had a suspicion about Poland.  Maybe it was just  poetic wishful thinking