Skip to main content

A surprise

"I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding."
— John O'Donohue.

I do love to live like this.
Carried by the surprises of each day. Not knowing where any hour will lead, but trusting all is an adventure in learning more about how to be in the moment, how to love more, how to be compassionate towards everybody , and how not be be attached to anything. What follows covers all of the above !

I had wanted to share some of the stories of the Chocolatadas (the hot chocolate fiestas here in the mountains around Machu Picchu) but yesterday's surprise is still with me, an unfinished experience, so the chocolatadas will have to wait.

Yesterday (Thursday 6th),was the festival of the Tree Kings in Ollantaytambo,Peru, a little town well known for it's Inca ruins, and it's train station. Most people visiting Machu Picchu will catch the train here. This anual festival takes the form of groups of traditional dancers wearing elaborate costumes and masks, dancing around the ancient Inca streets, accompanied by small brass bands and large loud drums.Each group of dancers has it's followers. Infront of each group, sombody will be carrying a baby Jesus in a basket or wooden box. There's lots of parading up to the little chapel at the top of the village, and lots of eating and drinking. Lots. For three days. Unlike the custom in Spain when the three kings enter all major cities and small towns and often villages bearing presents for the children, here in Peru presents aren't involved. Many people from the high mountain villages come down for this fiesta. The town bulges.

Early on Thursday morning, a smiling face caught my attention as I went looking for the dancers. Who was she ? Suddenly I remembered. It was Teresa, Christian's mother ( Christian who I visited in jail in Cusco).
She hugged me warmly and introduced me to her two younger children, Wendy aged 8, and Jose aged four. Jose was whinging and whining.

A man was selling bread and biscuits nearby, Jose was hungry. After buying biscuits and sweet bread, we headed for the plaza. Jose cheered up condsiderably.
There, there were a hundred and one things to buy and eat. The four year old was still hungry. We had ice cream and then a man selling bubble mixture captured the children's imaginations.

The dancers arrived. The bands played loudly. A huge crowd of local and mountain people gathered. There were few foreigners. The music stopped and the speeches started. It was hot. I sat down on the steps and Wendy glued herself to my hip. About twenty other people were also sitting on the steps. There was an enpty space on my right. I vaguely remember a large local lady wedging herself in beside me.
We bought flimsy blue and yellow paper hats to shade our heads from the scortching sun. Every time the wind swept through the plaza the hats blew off.
We were all having fun. It was deeply touching to see Christian's sad mum enjoying herself.
I took a few photos.
The colours of the costumes were dazzling: scarlet and fuschia, oranges and purples.

Jose called me Tia ( auntie).
I bought Wendy the bubble kit.
It consisted of a small plastic bag full of pink washing up liquid, a small plastic saucer, and a little implement for blowing the bubbles through. Wendy carefully emptied the raspberry coloured liquid into the saucer , dipped the hoop into the mix , and produced huge, beautiful, bubbles much to her delight.
Jose wanted the same.
Being younger, he was not so quick to master the technique. I leant over Wendy to help him. The bands started up, the procesion began again. We walked up the hill behind everybody else, the two children blowing huge bubbles and filling the day with screams of delight.
Jose didn't always manage to make a bubble, but when he did , his little face lit up. When he didn´t, I said " Casi" ( almost). " Casi, casi, casi " he repaeted a hundred times.

At the top of the hill the band and dancers stopped infront of the chapel. Teresa wanted to buy candles. We bought candles. Inside the chapel, the family lit theirs then placed them in the three tier metal candle holder.
I was thinking about Christian and wanting to light a candle for him too, but there wasn't room for any more. The church was full of local people.

Suddenly Christian's dad appeared. He recognised me and stared to cry. His sobs wouldn't stop. He was very drunk. He hasn't been to visit his son yet. He was given money to go recently, but he didn't get further than the local bar. We stood in the chapel, in the middle of the isle. I heard myself saying to him, you must be strong for your family, you must't loose hope that he'll be free soon.

Eventualy he calmed down and said to me, "Sit down, I´ll be right back." I sat down, he disappeared.

I watched the local families pose for photos infront of the three processional boxes. Each box is attached to a plinth, on stilts. In each box stands or sits a sculpture of one of the three kings. The chaple was recently built. In their glass boxes, surrounded by flowers, the three kings are proecessed around the village for three days, accompanied by the groups of masked dancers and musicians.

I looked around for Teresa to ask if she would like a family photo. I rummaged in my bag for my camera. We could send the photo to Christian in the prison I thought.
Where's my camera?
No camera.
I rummage in my bag.
No camera. I rummage a little frantically.
I can't believe this.

Then everything turns around.

I am no longer the one supporting Christian's family. They decide to help me. I am now the one with a problem, not them.
Christian's dad Alan decides we'll go to the local radio station and offer a reward for the camera's return.
Teresa aggrees.

We have to push our way out of the chapel, though the thick crowd watching the dancers. I take Jose's hand. His whinging again , bordering on howling.
We meet Ronnie, a young friend of mine from last year's chocolatadas. Hearing the story, he decides to be my knight in shinning armour and comes with us.
Jose starts howling for ice cream. Wendy is like a fire fly, sometimes I see her sometimes she disappears.
We stop a few times for Alan to tank up again. Teresa joins him. I'm also offered a beer. I decline, not sure why.

At some stage during the walk back down the hill to the radio station, it transpires that Wendy saw a woman stealing the camera, off my lap. She is a local woman and a neighbour of Teresa.
We'll go to her house right now anounces Alan.
We traipse to the womans house .
She's not there.

We traipse back to the plaza in the boiling heat to look for her. She's not there. There are masses of people eating and drinking everywhere. This is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Alan and Teresa decided to go back to the chapel to hunt for her. I decide I've had enough traipsing. Ronnie isn't keen on the stategy. Be very careful he warns me. The fiesta is a dangerous time. He tells me he'll ring Carlos and he'll surely help. Carlos is one of the organisors of the Chocolatadas, and a good friend.

We'll meet tomorrow morning Teresa says. Don't worry. I'm not worrying.
I tell them I will have to make a denuncia though, ( a formal registering of the theft) tomorrow, at the police station. I won't tell the police the whole story. I just need proof of the camera being stolen for the insurance back home. They understand.

So, this morning I set off alone to visit Teresa ,to see if anything has transpired overnight. Nobody's at home. Passing the neighbours house a young couple come out. They look at me with mistrust.
I head for the police station and meet Wider and Tatiana having breakfast in a cafe.
They are very upset to hear about the theft, I'm just baffled how I could have been robbed by a local woman, and baffled by my carelessness in leaving the camera on my lap while I was teaching Jose how to blow beautiful bubbles.

At the police station all is serious, slow , and slightly commical. I am told I have to go to the next town to a bank, and buy a voucher for 3 soles. This voucher is essential to making the denuncia.

I take a 'collectivo' to Urubamaba along with about 20 other pasengers, a chicken in a shawl, and a grat deal of vegetable produce. There is hardly room to breath. The rain lashes down. This is still the rainy season here
I buy the voucher, and return in another colectivo.
I go back to the police station to find the typed statement I made this morning has disappeared.
"Come back in a hour", I'm told by a young policeman. There is however an entry in the hand written log with my name beside it.
An hour later, after having my finger print taken, I leave with my denucia for the insurance company.



"My life is an indivisible whole, and all my attitudes run into one another; and they all have their rise in my insatiable love for mankind."

- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Yes.
Goodbye Ollantaytambo.
I hope the eventual new owner of my camera will have as much pleasure with it as I had.

Comments

  1. Oh gosh - a bit unsettling all the traipsing up and down. It is sad but not life threatening thank goodness. You have indeed had a chance to live your quote (incidentally, I just put it on a new website I am building, only yesterday!) You are enthralling and humbling us all with your rich deep and wide adventure - Thank You - Safe return. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's official ! Build Creative Confidence. A holiday course in Spain.

        It's official !    Here's the link to my course at the beautiful Cortijo Romero Center in Andalucia Spain -              February 25th to March  4th 2023.                                                 'Build Creative Confidence '  With the guidance of the marketing manager, we've changed the wording of the Creativity week  I shared with you recently, to fit  more with their  guidelines. It will be a fun and fascinating week because  with all the gifts you will bring with you ...co creation always happens, and we learn lots from each other as a group. There will be a max of 10 people I believe I'm not going to be telling you what to do! I'm planning to open many doors for you by sharing forty years of experimenting, and keeping a drawing dairy for much of that time. https://www.cortijo-romero.co.uk/choose-your-course/courses/?type=&id=2734&name=Building+Creative+Confidence

Stop-Expecting-Too-Much-from-People, Mrs!

At the end of a radio interview when  69 year old , Jewish, Hungarian born Canadian physician  Gabor Mate was asked ‘ is there more love in your life now?’  he paused. ‘I think there is more space in my heart for love,’  he said quietly.  I think  there is more space in our hearts for love when we pass 60. What we do with that space depends on lots of things. And sometimes that space shuts down ! This morning I was deeply disappointed with our village doctor, again. My heart door slammed shut. There seems to be  a Berlin Wall  wall between us. I cannot communicate with him without judging him, severely.   He speaks to me like I'm a teenager with many serious learning challenges. I see in front of me an  arrogant adolescent with mother issues!  LOL !! I thought I'd stopped judging people !! I'm angry that so many folk in our village seem to suffer, month after  month, year after year. Yes I know the  difference between healing and curing.  A kind encourag

Lithuania Calling.

Dear loyal multinational followers, Thank you for keeping on visiting while I've been silent for so many weeks. How does anybody manage a daily blog?? I couldn't. At the moment I've got kittens and chickens and a blind cockerel  to feed, as well as drawings to draw, adventures to live, and so much more. Since starting the blog,  thousands of you  in the US have visited (so love these statistics), and more than five thousand Russians and Ukrainians have looked at my paintings here. Why so many visitors from Russia?  I'm thinking you must be 'resonating' with something in my art , but I doubt many of you are  reading the posts. Of course I could be wrong. I've just discovered my Jewish father's ancestors came from your countries -  Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and also Poland. What a surprise. Oh bliss and double joy to know this at last!   All my life I'd  had a suspicion about Poland.  Maybe it was just  poetic wishful thinking