Tuesday 11 October 2011

Ode to Joy



This is my work/play table.
I'm procrastinating again. I do it very well.

The problem with storyboarding my screenplay is there are just so many possibilities, and each possibility opens up a treasure trove of new ideas. It's very challenging to filter the ideas. The big question today is: will an audience really believe in synchronicity?
How will Hana actually get to/find the shaman? The shaman tells Hana she has to find her granddaughter. The recovery of her health depends on this.

I have many very different ideas about this, involving synchronicity, but which will be the most interesting?

I think I need a sounding block.
Am trying to weave in sounds, silence, atmosphere, character sketches, leading up to the 'inciting incident' which is when the challenge for the main character is laid out graphically for the audience.
I love the trick that the audience knows something the films characters have yet to find out.

Dear Universe. I know you are listening. Please send me a sounding block. No. Stop. You might not understand this. Please do not send me any more blocks. Please send me the best person ( or messenger) to advise me on the credibility of Hana's meeting with the shaman.


Watch this space dear readers!



And now the breakthrough!

I haven't received the messenger yet, but a breakthrough just happened.


Finally got rid of the procrastinator by sitting at my desk with the intention of designing the intro.

Zoom in on Hana's studio before she leaves for the station. There's a large painting on her easel, her sketchbooks lie in a pile on her messy paint table. Zoom into painting. It's the story of the abduction of Samira in Paris, 18 years ago. Now what style would her painting be ? I immediately think of Chagall. I check him out. I am thrilled to find my hunch is spot on. Some of his paintings are almost scenes from my film. I check him out more, and find we were born on the same day. 7th July.

Jewish Chagall 'held an unwavering belief in the existence of miracles and in the infinite wisdom of the Creator. His life has been described as an Ode to Joy.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Belonging Beyond Borders

April 2024 Hi friends, sorry for the long silence ! Lots of new ideas brewing... retreats here in Spain.. a podcast... two new Blurb books a...