Thursday 23 March 2017

Adios mis quierdos amigos.




Tomorrow will be the end of another chapter in my life. I’ve spent three winters now at Kay and Bernie’s delightful casita @ www.orgivateagarden.com near Orgiva,  in Andalucia, southern Spain.

The little house has been a safe place, a sanctuary, a comfy cosy nest of a place, an experience of living beside many animals and a wonderful family. Added to this has been getting to know dozens of lovely young WOFFERS  from around the globe who have come and  stayed awhile, then seemlessly moved on to their next advenute.  Jess and Eve especially spring to mind .





I’ve loved living alongside Kay and Bernie’s incredible creative energy, and I’ve loved watching their garden ‘grow.’ You would not believe the daily hard work they’re committed to, to make the garden a joy for everybody .

I came to the casita before the garden was opened to the public, a week before I started chemo, in November 2014.


Over the recovery months, I enjoyed the  privileged of being appointed official ‘taster’in Kay's kitchen for her various ice creams. Let me tell you !  Eton Mess is definitely the best ! I was also invited to test : soups, brownies, and various gluten free creations, as well as teas and wonderful natural fruit drinks –all for the open garden days .









There have been so many big and small experiences shared. So much laughter. So many Bernie jokes !! So many ideas birthed that have come to fruition, Kay’s paper flower courses, Art in the Garden, Chinese cooking in the Garden, the arrival of the peacocks,  and never to be forgotten, my birthday surprise breakfast with the llamas by the river .







Now I’m ready and off to a little house across the river where my responsibilities will include 2 chickens a cockerel and 2 quails, and…I’ll have a small studio, at last.








But also never ever to be forgotten, a huge thank you to all my many friends whose love and practical help have got me to this point. I could not have come out of the other side of cancer smiling, without you.
Os quiero mucho. You know who you are, as they say.








So, Adios mis quierdos amigos. We’ll be sending smoke signals across the river now instead of trading knocks on the door, because, as the crows flies, I’ll only be about a mile away !!


Thank you Kay and Bernie. You are quite simply, the best .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Belonging Beyond Borders

April 2024 Hi friends, sorry for the long silence ! Lots of new ideas brewing... retreats here in Spain.. a podcast... two new Blurb books a...