Skip to main content

Hens and eggs and paintings.

Matisse


Elena and Rebekah (my hens) and I are bonding. I give them left over porridge for breakfast and veggie scraps for supper, and they give me one egg a day. Yesterday morning’s egg was still warm when I picked it up.
This new experience is pure joy.
Small pleasures make my heart sing.
Day 4 in the new Happyhouse.





Day 5.  This morning I wasn’t surprised to find two empty nests.  Last night it  rained heavily.

Shame I thought.  Do the hens mind getting wet?

Then mid-morning - to my great surprise and delight- after making veggie  soup and taking the scarps to the chucks ,my eye caught sight of three white eggs sitting on top of  a pile of  brown curly leaves. Three!  Two eggs were still warm. Warm as a small child’s hand.



And soon after this moment of joy, an unexpected email arrived like a slap in the face, and a few hours of horrible ‘lost-ness’ followed.





My best medicine for these disruptive feelings is to change my location.


Small Cork Trees Henri Manguin - 1906


So I limped up the grassy track to my car, remembering to padlock the gate behind me.  Then  carefully and slowly driving down  our shared narrow lane - avoiding the three yapping puppies and the bent old lady - I  headed for the village.
The shared lane  has  5 small whitewashed traditional houses on one side, and  large vegetable plots and wild orchards on the other. Almost every piece of land around here has orange and lemon trees growing abundantly.

Old ceramic pots , black buckets full of purple freisias and mature green plants line our communal concrete track. Everything will soon be  shaded by  a leafy roof made from  a spindly old grandfather vine.
And at the bottom, 50 yards  or so from my gate,  the lane meets another slightly wider lane, and it meanders delightfully into the village of Tablones, where once upon a time, many tin miners lived.

The day then became full of poignant  and beautiful moments.

Ernst Ludwig Kirchner



Raoul Dufy - The Little Palm Tree, 1905


Somehow though, the upsetting email became an excuse for not making my first drawings in my new studio.

Instead, I re-researched (online) my favourite period in art history – The ( colourful)  Favuves.  How amazing to discover that what I need and long to do with my own art now, is what I started out to do, but got side-tracked and interrupted by life all those years ago by  earning a living, and being a single mother .

Gaugin


Who were the Fauves?
Besides Matisse other Favue artists included, Maurice de Vlaminck, Raoul Dufy, Georges Rouault, Kees van Dongen, all long time favourites of mine .

Their paintings  were characterized by  ‘seemingly wild brush work and strident colours, while their subject matter had a high degree of simplification and abstraction. Above all, Fauvism valued individual expression. The artist's direct experience of his subjects, his emotional response to nature, and his intuition were all more important than academic theory or elevated subject matter.’

Georges Rouault

Georges Rouault


Georges Rouault


These powerful influences in my first years of becoming an artist would become, over decades, silent companions on  a lifelong healing art journey.

Comments

  1. Out of an upsetting email Meg you provided a glimpse of a tender young mum trying to get by whilst honouring your gift as an artist - these words will I am sure help other young vulnerable people who are feeling I confident and unsure. Your sharing of the artist's work is wonderful with great images to illustrate and you've shared also how we never really escape the raw pain of unkind or raw words but you've so generously shown us how you've deLt with this particular upsetting time - again giving others good for thought. Big hugs Meg x Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's official ! Build Creative Confidence. A holiday course in Spain.

        It's official !    Here's the link to my course at the beautiful Cortijo Romero Center in Andalucia Spain -              February 25th to March  4th 2023.                                                 'Build Creative Confidence '  With the guidance of the marketing manager, we've changed the wording of the Creativity week  I shared with you recently, to fit  more with their  guidelines. It will be a fun and fascinating week because  with all the gifts you will bring with you ...co creation always happens, and we learn lots from each other as a group. There will be a max of 10 people I believe I'm not going to be telling you what to do! I'm planning to open many doors for you by sharing forty years of experimenting, and keeping a drawing dairy for much of that time. https://www.cortijo-romero.co.uk/choose-your-course/courses/?type=&id=2734&name=Building+Creative+Confidence

Stop-Expecting-Too-Much-from-People, Mrs!

At the end of a radio interview when  69 year old , Jewish, Hungarian born Canadian physician  Gabor Mate was asked ‘ is there more love in your life now?’  he paused. ‘I think there is more space in my heart for love,’  he said quietly.  I think  there is more space in our hearts for love when we pass 60. What we do with that space depends on lots of things. And sometimes that space shuts down ! This morning I was deeply disappointed with our village doctor, again. My heart door slammed shut. There seems to be  a Berlin Wall  wall between us. I cannot communicate with him without judging him, severely.   He speaks to me like I'm a teenager with many serious learning challenges. I see in front of me an  arrogant adolescent with mother issues!  LOL !! I thought I'd stopped judging people !! I'm angry that so many folk in our village seem to suffer, month after  month, year after year. Yes I know the  difference between healing and curing.  A kind encourag

Lithuania Calling.

Dear loyal multinational followers, Thank you for keeping on visiting while I've been silent for so many weeks. How does anybody manage a daily blog?? I couldn't. At the moment I've got kittens and chickens and a blind cockerel  to feed, as well as drawings to draw, adventures to live, and so much more. Since starting the blog,  thousands of you  in the US have visited (so love these statistics), and more than five thousand Russians and Ukrainians have looked at my paintings here. Why so many visitors from Russia?  I'm thinking you must be 'resonating' with something in my art , but I doubt many of you are  reading the posts. Of course I could be wrong. I've just discovered my Jewish father's ancestors came from your countries -  Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and also Poland. What a surprise. Oh bliss and double joy to know this at last!   All my life I'd  had a suspicion about Poland.  Maybe it was just  poetic wishful thinking