Skip to main content

There is no such thing as...



There's no such thing as a usual chemo day.

Today, in the hospital, it was a  kind of a bland, lacklustre experience!  But it started with a great laugh.

The head nurse Reyes first job was to insert a tiny little tube into my chest, where deep down lives a small metal implant, a 'resevorio,' into which the chemo enters a large vein. Mine is  exceptionally hard to  find.

Two student nurses gather around Reyes to watch, and Rocio, the senior admin nurse, arrives I think to witness or to help if things go wrong. This all happens in a little curtained off cubicle.  Everybody in the ward of course can hear, if they want to.  Most do.

'Push the chair (a blue reclining chair) back,' orders Reyes . Wham. Suddenly I’m flat on my back. My head seems to bounce at least twice!

'MADREEEE MIAAAAA,' I exclaim. I wasn’t expecting that! Everybody laughs.

Reyes says, 'shut your eyes.'  Rocio says, 'pretend to sleep!'  The two trainee nurses giggle.
I shut my eyes.
Reyes silently presses the 'reservoir' thingy, trying to find the entry hole.  It’s uncomfortable but not painful.
'Breath,' she says. She finds the hole and slips in the needle.

There’s a little murmur of respectful awe.

 ‘Done?’ I ask.  ‘Yes,’ she says.  ‘Enhorabuena,’ I say, and they all crack up !  The laughing doesn’t seem to be stopping !

I don’t know why that was so funny, but Rocio said something about ninos  (children)... maybe that’s the sort of comment you’d make to a nina when she’s done something unexpectedly, extremely well !

Jaime the jolly bearer of free filled rolls, (bocadillos), easily persuades me to have two, and a plain yogurt, and  would I like juice and sugar fee biscuits? Yes. He smiles ear to ear and pats my knee.

I’m disappointed the shy hospital chaplin didn’t show.  I was going to ask him for another blessing because my Reiki friends can’t come tonight. I have a feeling he might be a Reiki master himself.

I have to admit I am very upset- that’s is a strong word I know - let’s say I am disturbed to see my lovely seamstress friend Encari in bad shape again. I haven’t seen her for weeks. It’s deeply sobering to see my companions all on their own cancer camino… some of us are not going to make it, some of us are.
Encari told me her oncologist is a woman called Mayte.  I’ve heard great things about this Mayte. Tomorrow I will ask Rocio  if I can change. I feel excited at the thought of having a female oncologist who is simapatica, amable y carinosa. This is her reputation: understanding, kind, and loving.

Two new friends coloured the day beautifully.  While waiting in my car by the 7 Eye Bridge for Martin to pick me up,  I had a moment of fear.  What if he didn’t come, what if his van had broken down… a 101 what if thoughts galloped in…. I tried to change the chip.

Looking out of the windscreen, I suddenly saw the most beautiful rainbow, just a chunk, low down, over the direction where we were going  to be driving. The colures were fabulously strong. It zapped the fear instantly.

So there I was sitting in awe at 9am on a chemo morning.  Lovely Martin right arrived right on time and drove me to Motril.  And simapatica, amable y carinosa Maureen brought me back.  Both made that experience a joy.
I notice now how I have more energy to talk, and to listen.  To begin with after chemo,  I just wanted to look at the mountains.

Back home, some more packing for the move on Thursday, and then something to eat at our local  Moroccan café,  Baraka. The Sufi chef is a friendly acquaintance.  He is also very simapatico, amable y carinoso.  I was way too tired to cook, a bit short of cash, so I chose the cheapest thing on the menu and waited hungrily.

What appeared in front of me almost made me cry. It was a work of art.  It was so beautifully prepared with two little  spinach croquetas (treats from the chef) on the side, my absolute Baraka favourite.

Ten minutes later, I can’t pronounce or spell the chefs name… Nade I think… help me Jeni… Nade  came over and said in English,  “My wife would like to send you healing, she’s in England, but she needs your permission, and she needs your name. I will speak with her in an hour. Would you like that?”


There is no such thing as a usual chemo day.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's official ! Build Creative Confidence. A holiday course in Spain.

        It's official !    Here's the link to my course at the beautiful Cortijo Romero Center in Andalucia Spain -              February 25th to March  4th 2023.                                                 'Build Creative Confidence '  With the guidance of the marketing manager, we've changed the wording of the Creativity week  I shared with you recently, to fit  more with their  guidelines. It will be a fun and fascinating week because  with all the gifts you will bring with you ...co creation always happens, and we learn lots from each other as a group. There will be a max of 10 people I believe I'm not going to be telling you what to do! I'm planning to open many doors for you by sharing forty years of experimenting, and keeping a drawing dairy for much of that time. https://www.cortijo-romero.co.uk/choose-your-course/courses/?type=&id=2734&name=Building+Creative+Confidence

Stop-Expecting-Too-Much-from-People, Mrs!

At the end of a radio interview when  69 year old , Jewish, Hungarian born Canadian physician  Gabor Mate was asked ‘ is there more love in your life now?’  he paused. ‘I think there is more space in my heart for love,’  he said quietly.  I think  there is more space in our hearts for love when we pass 60. What we do with that space depends on lots of things. And sometimes that space shuts down ! This morning I was deeply disappointed with our village doctor, again. My heart door slammed shut. There seems to be  a Berlin Wall  wall between us. I cannot communicate with him without judging him, severely.   He speaks to me like I'm a teenager with many serious learning challenges. I see in front of me an  arrogant adolescent with mother issues!  LOL !! I thought I'd stopped judging people !! I'm angry that so many folk in our village seem to suffer, month after  month, year after year. Yes I know the  difference between healing and curing.  A kind encourag

Lithuania Calling.

Dear loyal multinational followers, Thank you for keeping on visiting while I've been silent for so many weeks. How does anybody manage a daily blog?? I couldn't. At the moment I've got kittens and chickens and a blind cockerel  to feed, as well as drawings to draw, adventures to live, and so much more. Since starting the blog,  thousands of you  in the US have visited (so love these statistics), and more than five thousand Russians and Ukrainians have looked at my paintings here. Why so many visitors from Russia?  I'm thinking you must be 'resonating' with something in my art , but I doubt many of you are  reading the posts. Of course I could be wrong. I've just discovered my Jewish father's ancestors came from your countries -  Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and also Poland. What a surprise. Oh bliss and double joy to know this at last!   All my life I'd  had a suspicion about Poland.  Maybe it was just  poetic wishful thinking