Wednesday 5 April 2017

The Art of Allowing and Joan Eardley's art.



Feelings have power.

My life is very precarious this month.  So many uncertainties. It’s a challenge not to get unsettled by barking dogs during the night, and all the practicalities of where to move to in July.




So even though I’m deciding to depend on God/Goddess/All That Is, rather than just trusting ( big difference for me), difficult moments happen, and I find myself  lost, living in a kind movie I would never want to watch.  By this I mean the main character is reacting in a very ungracious  way.




So when this happened at the art group this morning, in the last half hour, I was deeply shocked with myself.  Wednesdays are the highlight of the week.  How could I spoil a Wednesday with a  huge, mood swing?

But we are never upset for the reason we think. Sometimes bubbles needed to burst. And it did.





So, I asked Google for suggestions for  ‘re-centring myself ! ‘ LOL!

The following, accompanied by wonderful birdsong from the garden , immediately popped up !!

Abraham Hicks says:

 ‘Develop faith that things always turn out okay.

Feelings have power.

Keep your eyes and heart focused on how you can add value to the world each day.

Practice the  Art of Allowing - meaning-

I am that which I am, and I am willing to allow all others to be that which they are.’




So if I want to add value to the world by creating beauty, and encouraging other artists in whatever way I can, then re discovering the paintings of Joan Eardley re set my inner compass - big time. They are so utterly authentic – to my artist eyes anyway.
Her work embodies wonderful drawing, and  a fabulous sense and use of colour.






Her work is about deep care for disadvantaged children, and  a profound love of the north east of Scotland, were I spent 30 years of my life.  Joan Eardly died aged 42 of breast cancer.  That’s where our biggest difference lies. I’ve been given a second opportunity.  What would she have done with hers, had she been so lucky?  

Cordelia Oliver ( a Scottish art critic), observed that, 'for her ( Joan Eardley) , a truly successful painting had to go deeper than a mere visual record, no matter how accurate... ‘her success lay in her ability to combine the acute, uncompromising painter's eye with a warm human sympathy and understanding.'


Only surviving drawing from this morning!   5 minute sketch.  I need longer !

And as soon as I decided to allow this morning’s feelings to pass, and looked at my drawings -most of which were heading for the trash can- then immersed myself in Joan Eardley world, something,  magical happened.

Thanks to Facebook chat box,  the  possibility of renting an artist’s house near Malaga for July and August pooped up:

'I’ve been seriously thinking about letting my house this summer' the friend said.
'Let’s talk about it, come and stay the night.'









1 comment:

  1. Wow, you did really good job, you have some good skills which not everyone can have. Thank you for sharing these drawings with us

    ReplyDelete

Belonging Beyond Borders

April 2024 Hi friends, sorry for the long silence ! Lots of new ideas brewing... retreats here in Spain.. a podcast... two new Blurb books a...