Saturday 25 February 2017

La puerta de Isabel

FB tells me I posted ‘this’ drawing 6 years ago. It instantly inspired me to share the story behind the drawing,  but as soon as I finished writing this piece, the drawing vanished .  After much searching I’ve found it!


 

It was such an ‘aha’ moment (seeing the drawing again), I wanted  to share the story with you, along with the  prints I made at our  Passionart group this morning. 
 

This morning after an intense hour with the estate agent, I was feeling rough .  The serious leg pain and the serious house hunting have begun once again.
 

So love how synchronicity always kicks in at the best moment.  Seeing this drawing again has filled me with new hope.
 

Why?
 

Here’s why!


In 4 weeks I will be without fixed abode again, and within 2 months, they will operate on the ‘other’ hip, so finding the ‘right’ house has some challenges.
 

This digital  drawing was inspired by the story of Isabel, the woman I bought my house from in Alcazar, 16 years ago. My beautiful house has had to be rented because of my health challenges.
 

The title for the drawing could be ' Sitting in the light.’  It's about how Isabel’s first baby died at birth in a dark house on the mountainside  in  Barjis, a remote village an hours walk from our village.
 

After the tragedy, Isabel and her family moved down to Alcazar to be nearer her sister .  Following her second birth, the doctor told her to ‘sit in the light’ with the baby every day for as long as possible. 
 

So she sat in the light in the doorway of the narrow upstairs barn ( now the siting room), facing south west, on what would later became the door onto my roof terrace. She sat there for weeks she told me, and the baby thrived. 


 

I made the new metal door the same dimensions  as hers, and  put it in the exact some place.  Then in  New Mexico I made a ceramic plaque to commemorate her success, her faith, and her  courage.
 

After photographing the plaque  I made many digital drawing based on the photo, this is one of them.. The series was called Marenta –Lord come..
 

Isabel had two more healthy babies then moved to Almeria in search of an easier life, which she found. We were/are the same age. 


 

So it’s a lovely reminder that moving house can be part of a process of thriving, of new life, of 'moving more into the  light.'
 Thank you Facebook.

1 comment:

Belonging Beyond Borders

April 2024 Hi friends, sorry for the long silence ! Lots of new ideas brewing... retreats here in Spain.. a podcast... two new Blurb books a...